With the release of Poser 12.0.1029 in August of this year, the Poser Dev Team shifted gears and officially started work on the next version of Poser. This work continues today with an expected release date sometime in the first quarter of 2023.
One key decision for the team was whether to go with a standard version bump to Poser 13, skip 13 for superstitious reasons like elevators do, or come up with a non-numbered release name. It is perilously close to Halloween, but we decided to go with Poser 13 and live with the consequences.
The dev team has identified the following focus areas for Poser 13:
- Support for a new figure type that maintains true unimesh geometry inside Poser to simplify content creation and cross-tool content development
- Upgrading to latest Cycles render engine and Poser code changes to streamline future updates
- Addition of light bloom and more PostFX using the bgfx library
- App launcher feature to offer more useful scene selection on startup
- New female figure based on the new unimesh figure type
- Other smaller features and bug fixes
As usual with major version releases, we expect to offer an upgrade path from Poser 12 such that users that invested in Poser 12 will see a savings off the full Poser 13 purchase price. More details on this will be forthcoming as we near the expected release date.
This is the first of a series of blog posts/newsletters that will keep you updated as Poser 13 work proceeds.